Xenia Lee: 6 NEWLYWEDS

Edgar and I started talking marriage after I graduated.  I was only seventeen so I needed my parents’ permission to marry.  One Sabbath afternoon in June Edgar asked Mom and Dad if he could marry me.  They wanted me to finish college first.  Dad asked Edgar how much money he made, warning us that we could not live on love alone.  I think Mom and Dad were shocked at what his monthly income was and finally Mom said, “Okay, you kids, of course you can get married with our blessing.”

Edgar decided not to sell produce he raised in his garden so we could can for the winter.  We canned lots of peas, green beans, tomatoes, carrots, beets, huckleberries and black berries.  We made strawberry jam and later sour kraut.  Lots of good eating was ready for the winter to come.  We even canned pickled stuffed peppers. Edgar helped me.

Dad could not remember us kids’ birthdays but he had no trouble remembering Mom’s.  So we were married on Friday evening, August 10, 1945, which was Mom’s birthday.

We were married Sabbath Eve on the hill beside the Middle Island Church at “Vesper Knoll.”  Alois was Edgar’s best man and Mae was my maid of honor.  I wore a beautiful blue two piece dress with white insert in the blouse.  Aunt Lydia made my wedding bouquet.  It was a hot August day and Edgar did not wear his suit coat at my insistence but just his suit trousers, white shirt and tie.  The sun was setting as we were married.  Mom and Dad held a reception at the house.  Our yard and house were full of family and friends when we got back from the church.  We had wedding cake, homemade ice cream and lemonade.  Freda Swiger went from the reception to her home in Marshville and drove back and forth to work for a while.

That night we went back to my apartment.  We wanted so much to begin our life together with God’s blessing.  We each were used to reading our Bible, meditating on God’s Word and praying before bed each evening, so it was natural to read it together this, our wedding night, and pray together before retiring.  We have continued to do that to this very day.  God has blessed us.

Gasoline was rationed during the war and, try as Edgar would, he could not get gasoline to drive to Kansas to visit his family.  So we left early the next week by bus.  There was a popular song we sang all the way in our hearts if not aloud: “Honeymoon on a Greyhound Bus.”  Truly it was.  How exciting that trip was as I traveled west for the first time.  I had never even been to Ohio, our neighboring state.  I expected to see cactus anytime.  I saw lots of flat farms with huge fields of corn or grain.  This was exciting!  I kept a diary along the way.  I think I still have it somewhere.  I did when we retired, anyway.

The bus got into St. Joe, Missouri bus station and the war in the Pacific was over!  All public transportation ceased wherever it was for twenty-four hours while everyone across our nation celebrated.  We were to change buses there and get one into Atchison, Kansas where Mom would pick us up.  St. Joe was not far from Edgar’s home.  That is where they brought livestock to market.  Edgar called his mother and she came to St Joe and took us home.  All gas rationing ceased immediately.  There was joyous celebrating everywhere.  I loved Edgar’s mother right away.  She made me feel so at home.  We went next door half a mile down the road to Charles’ home where Dad and Charles were putting a roof on the new barn they had just completed.  That was still a solid barn when Edgar was in Nortonville as pastor in the 1980’s.

We decided to send a telegram to Mom and Dad.  We told them, “If you will drive our car to Kansas and pick us up, we will all drive to Texas to visit Uncle Ian’s and Bond who were in the service and stationed not far apart there.  They came and we all went!  Now I did see real cowboys and cactus – the real West of radio stars, Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans.

In Texas we had cabins on Dallas Lake for the weekend and Bond arrived Friday evening by bus.  It was a special weekend of fishing and visiting.  We took Bond back to his camp and then started home through the Southern states.  I was really seeing the United States!  Mom and Dad were as excited as I was to see each new state we crossed.  Finally, we were in West Virginia again.  This had been a most memorable wedding trip.  Not many newly married couples could brag about their Mom and Dad taking them on their honeymoon, or even that they took parents with them on their honeymoon.

Nearing Sutton, we had Dad drive around the mountain and up the gravel road to Grandpa and Grandma Randolph’s home while we walked hand in hand up the path along the mountain side to my Grandparents from the opposite side.  We arrived near the same time!  It was here in Grandpa’s orchard we first “held hands” as we walked together.  After a short visit we drove on home, dropped Mom and Dad off, visited with my brothers and sisters and went to our own home again.  Home felt good!  God has been good.

After our two week plus “honeymoon” Freda continued to live in our apartment and Edgar and I rented my grandparents’ home across the street from the college.  What fun it was to live in their home where I was born and remember visiting when I was young.  We now had a living room with a gas fire place, a dining room, kitchen, bedroom and bath and a study besides a nice front porch with a swing on it.  How nice it was to sit together in the swing and relax evenings overlooking the college campus below.  There were 90-plus steps up the hill from the street to our home.  There was a gravel road that wound around the hill and came within 100 feet of our home on the flat hill top.  We used that road when moving in and in bad weather.  We kept our car at the end of the side walk in a parking area.  We always walked around Salem if the weather permitted.

It was soon time for “Freshman” orientation and my first year in college began.  I had full scholarship and once I acclimated to my schedule and became acquainted with teachers and students I was excited about being in school full time again.  There were many Seventh Day Baptist students, for Salem was a denominational school as were Milton, Wisconsin and Alfred University in New York State, which also housed our S. D. B. Seminary.  These students we worshipped with and had fellowship with in church and SabbathSchool as well as Bible study on Wednesday evenings.  Some we continue to correspond with.

Not long after school began, I started having an upset stomach often and found it hard to stay on my feet to get routine housework completed daily.  When I forced myself, I only got sicker until I finally vomited and then I felt fine.  I hurried to get things done around the house – cleaning, laundry, meals, ironing, studying – until the cycle built up to vomiting again.  I tried to keep up with everything but after two or three months of this cycle repeating itself I got so far behind I knew I must quit school, which I did.  My baby’s health was more important than my schooling.  I could rest more without feeling guilty and it was easier to keep up.

Edgar and I put up with people openly disapproving of my pregnancy and even giving us sexual advice which we did not ask for.  This really continued through the years at times.  Well meaning people, I am sure, felt compelled to share their “knowledge” with us “for our sake”.

Christmas time came and I continued to be sick most of the time.  Morning sickness had turned to 24 hour sickness and nothing seemed to ease it except vomiting.  Fortunately I could vomit easily.  We went over home the day before Christmas and while there I began having serious stomach cramps and then bleeding so Mom said I should go to bed and she would call her brother, my Uncle Ian.  He was home for Christmas and was an OB/gyn doctor in Chicago.  Uncle Doc came over home to check me out.  That night I had a miscarriage.  Edgar and I were both devastated and both cried together, comforting one another as best we could.  I remained in bed over home a few days.  Edgar went back and forth to work from there.  The fact that “some” people were “thankful,” probably, about our losing our baby only increased our pain of loss.  God is good and we look forward to finally holding our “baby” one day.

Knowing some folks did not think we should have a family until I had graduated from college, because they had told us that, just caused us more sorrow when they said they were sorry we lost the baby.  I think it made me “angry” also.  Others would express sympathy adding, “fortunately you have lots of time and can have other children”.  This was not comforting at the time, either.  “No other child could take the place of the one we lost no matter how many children we had”.  I was sure of that and I would not want them to try to do so.  Each child is his or her “unique” self – a true gift from God given to us to raise for Him.  We took having a family seriously and sincerely wanted God’s will done in our lives.

 Alfred University

I continued to grieve and yet did not want people expressing sympathy.  I felt we needed to get away from Salem and Edgar decided to leave Salem and attend Alfred University and Seminary the second semester, which we did.  Wiring had caught on fire and burned our engine in the car, so we sold it and traveled by train to Alfred (Hornel), New York and lived in the Gothic on the Seminary grounds with other ministerial students Edgar had been in Salem College with.  Edgar hoped to finish college requirements while taking Seminary classes, also.

Edgar got a job at the Alfred Sun as a linotype operator.  I was secretary to one of the chemistry professors at the University.  I also baby sat often as I could.  Wendell and Audrey had a baby a few months old.  We got by easily and loved Alfred.  Besides Wendell and Audrey, Rex and Bette Burdick also lived upstairs in the Gothic where seminary classes were held on the first floor.  We had a bedroom on the first floor with our own outside entry.

Sabbath night while Merlin was with us I had a nightmare so very real that I was sure I was being chased by someone through the seminary and out the front door with someone still behind me.  I was aware of the outside light being turned on – but it was the light outside our bedroom door and I turned to look in a dilemma.  I “knew” I ran out the seminary front door not our door.  Edgar said “Xenia Lee, come back here.”  I questioned, “Is that you, Edgar?”  “Who do you think it is?” he asked.  Here I was in my night gown on the snow covered sidewalk in the freezing cold between the Gothic and the University Girls’ Dorm at 2:30 in the morning.  The light had awakened me with a start.  I had been sleep walking – or running!  Only time ever as far as I remember.  I was shaking all over so Edgar helped me back to bed.  Actually, I had fallen down our four steps – there is no step outside the seminary front door.  I had gotten up and kept running until Edgar thought to turn the light on.  He had heard me open our bedroom door and ran to it to call me back.  I got up and kept going.  When Edgar got me into bed he needed to go to the bathroom across the hall but I begged him not to leave me.  Merlin was sleeping in the guest bedroom just above our bedroom.  Edgar got our broom and pounded it on the ceiling getting Merlin’s attention and called through the ceiling and his floor to have him come to our bedroom.  He did.  I can only imagine what all went through his mind as he came quickly down that flight of stairs to our room.  Edgar explained his need and Merlin stayed in the room with me until Edgar came back from the bathroom.  Being awakened while “sleep walking” is traumatic, I can tell you.  I think we all went back to sleep before morning.  We were thankful Merlin was there that Sabbath night.

Yes, someone was still awake in the Girls Dorm to report, “One of the Seminary couples had a quarrel and fight and the woman ran out on to the sidewalk with her night gown on.  The man came out and pulled her back inside.”  Rumors spread quickly and they came back to us.  After the fact, we could laugh about it.  Merlin bought me a nice necklace while he was visiting us and I still enjoy wearing it.

The very next Sabbath night we seminary students and wives ate supper with Clora and Everett Harris in their home.  He was pastor of the Alfred Seventh Day Baptist church.  We had split pea soup and a Jell-O salad on a lettuce leaf.  Delicious meal but the farther I got eating it the sicker I became.  When we finished, I tried to help clear the table but finally sat on the arm of Edgar’s chair in the living room as the men visited and watched my chance to tell him, “I have to go home.  I am really sick”.  We had walked to the parsonage.  Someone took us home and called the doctor (one block away) and he came to our room.  By then, I was vomiting and so very sick.  I had appendicitis and the Dr. said to go right to the hospital quickly as we could and he would be there waiting.  Rex Burdick took us in his car and fog was so thick both boys had their heads out the window part of the time to be sure we staid on the road.  I lay in the back seat.  I was glad for a nurse I knew helping care for me.  That was trauma again for Edgar and for me but I got along great and was soon home again.

The doctor and wife worshiped at our church so we knew them.  They had five boys – teenagers down to one about old enough for school.  Easter time he had a medical meeting and took Mrs. Hitchcock along for a week while Edgar and I staid in their home with the boys.  They were good boys and was like being home again for me.  The Dr. lived beside the Alfred Sun so Edgar was close work now.  We enjoyed that week and Edgar and I enjoyed the boys so very much.  We helped them with home work and then we all played games in the evening.  I remember there was a fresh pineapple in the refrigerator and I had to ask how to fix it.  Our first fresh pineapple – not the last.

One weekend Rex and Bette took us with them to Rex’s home in DeRuyter, New York.  We loved Rex’s family and had a good weekend with them.  His older brother, Wendell, and Virginia were married the same day we were and lived nearby.  We staid in their home.

DeRuyter Summer Pastorate

When school was out, the DeRuyter Church asked Edgar to be summer interim pastor.  We went to DeRuyter.  We loved the people there and had a busy summer in church BibleSchool and camp programs.  We also gardened.  Church members had planted our garden before we arrived.  We celebrated our first wedding anniversary there.  We got a letter from Dad.  It said, “This next Sabbath will be Mom’s birthday.” He made no mention of our first anniversary.  So much for the memory jogger!

Edgar had his first funeral at DeRuyter, a memorable first taste of ministry responsibilities.  The church member lived and died in New York City.  Edgar had never met him or his family.  It was time for the funeral and no one had arrived yet.  They were all coming on the train and it was late.  The organist played as we all waited.  They were bringing their Adventist pastor with them and he and Edgar were to work together conducting the funeral.  Finally, they arrived.  Edgar did not get to meet the family even before the service.  And here came their minister in formal attire – tuxedo complete.  Edgar’s only suit was “blue!”  All went well but was traumatic for Edgar.  I was plenty nervous for him.  Certainly a memorable experience.

We went to Conference that August, representing the DeRuyter Church.  Ted Hibbard, another seminary student, traveled with us.  Conference was in Milton, Wisconsin where Uncle Elmo was pastor now.  It was fun to be in their home again and see Ann, Dan and John.  Grandpa and Grandma Randolph lived with them.  They had sold their farm in West Virginia.  It was so nice to visit with them, also.

I kept feeling sick each day at Conference.  We suspected correctly that I must be pregnant again.  The doctor had said to wait six months before I got pregnant again, and we did.

The trip home to DeRuyter was long.  We stopped in Illinois to visit Edgar’s sister, Louise and family.  I loved Louise immediately.  All Edgar’s family were special.  Merlin and Bob were in the service and I had not met Bob yet.  I had met Bob’s wife and daughter Sharon Kay while in Kansas.  Bob arrived home from Iwo Jima in August.  He and his wife were soon separated.  He was devastated that Marge left him.  They had a new baby due in January.

The Cellar House – Our Home

From DeRuyter we returned to Salem in time to start college again there.  We lived with Mom and Dad until we could finish their cellar house that was started and build a small apartment over it for us to live in.  Edgar would finally graduate in May.  He had been five hard years working his way through college.

In September Mom and Dad Wheeler brought Bob to Salem College to begin his college education.  He had gone into the service right out of high school as so many boys did.  He and Margie were separated – she left him.

Bob, Edgar, Bond and Alois tore down a vacated house and brought the lumber home to build our apartment over the cellar house.  It had outside steps along the cellar down to Mom and Dad’s back porch.  Years later, Mom and Dad attached a garage to their home and extended their kitchen to attach the cellar to the kitchen through a new kitchen doorway.  Now people could go to the cellar house without being out in the rain or snow.  Our home was two rooms: a living-bedroom and a kitchen with pantry.  It was very light and toasty warm with gas heat and a stove Aunt Gertrude gave us when they remodeled.  We moved in on Christmas Eve.

Mom went each day with Dad to school to do his hot lunch program.  They rode the school bus back and forth most days.  Beth was in grade school and had permission to go to Laurel Run one room school with Dad when she started school.  Rex, Edna Ruth, Mae and Alois were in Bristol Junior/Senior High School.  I usually had supper ready for everyone when they got home.  They really appreciated that.  I was just glad I could do something to help.  They were really helping us for we paid no rent.

Bob settled right into college.  Bob roomed and boarded with the Methodist Pastor and family “in Jarvisville” the first semester.  He rode back and forth with Edgar, helping the boys build the cellar house when he could.  It was special to get to really know Bob and love him as a dear brother.  He roomed in Salem after the first semester.

We always had Bob come home with us after church in Salem for dinner and Sabbath afternoon and at times we had other college students with us also.  This was a special time and we enjoyed sharing Sabbath dinner with guests.  I often prepared an oven roaster meal and it was ready when we arrived home.  Often we played games or took hikes as we visited after dinner.

Dr. Rose was my doctor in Clarksburg and at each monthly check-up he gave us a pamphlet describing how our baby looked and had developed to that stage of life.  This was very special to us and very reassuring that all was well and we could watch him or her grow.  I was sick again a lot of the time but was able to rest more and keep going to accomplish work that had to be done daily and weekly.  After Christmas, we only had our two rooms, of course, and they were “new”.  I continued having supper ready down home for them when they arrived home from school each week day.  That was easy to do and I enjoyed helping them that way.

Our baby was due in April.  When I went for my March check-up, Dr. Rose told me he would be on vacation the middle of the month but assured me he would be back before my delivery date.

Annita is born

On Friday night, March 21, 1947, I awakened early in the night all stuffy in the head, so reached for the Vicks I knew was on the bedside table.  As I was taking the lid off of the bottle I thought, “I put the green ink on that table last night when I was writing in my Journal.”  Just in case it was not Vicks I turned the bottle up to smell the contents.  (My straight pen had to be dipped into the ink often as I wrote letters or whatever.)  SPLASH!!  Green ink was all over me and the bed was well sprinkled also.  Edgar jumped up and turned the light on.  Looking at me he started to laugh then picked up the hand held mirror and handed it to me.  What a sight: I had green teeth, green hair, green all over my face and upper body as well as the bed around me!  I started to laugh and the more I thought what I looked like the more I laughed until I could not stop.  Edgar was about as bad.  We went into hysterics together.  I forgot I had a stuffy nose and it did not bother me again.  Time to get busy.  We kept a bucket of water up in our apartment so I heated water, brushed my  teeth, bathed, washed my hair and then had to curl it before going back to bed.  Edgar changed the bedding and made the bed up for us, cleaning up any other spills near the bed also.  I am sure a comic movie would not have brought more laughs that night.

We were finally able to get back to bed, but before I could get to sleep I felt like I had better use the “bedside pot” again before going to sleep so I got up and soon realized I was leaking fluid and had a bloody discharge, also, but no cramps or pain, so we did finally get to sleep again.  We managed to wait until after daylight and our breakfast to go down home to tell Mom what was going on.  How she laughed just hearing about it!

Sabbath morning I did begin having occasional cramps and pain so Edgar did not go to church.  I pretty much rested and walked or read through the day.  By late afternoon, pains were regular and much harder so Mom called the doctor and he said to come into the hospital, which we did.  Mom went with us and I was so very glad, for they would not let Edgar, or anyone, come into the Labor Room after they took me in there.  At least Mom was with him, I thought.  He never did well not knowing what was going on when I was not well or when our babies arrived.  Maybe because of this experience.

There were other women in the Labor Room.  The nurse who did my prep and examined me said I would probably deliver within an hour.  The doctor would come when they called and told him that I was ready, she said.  The Doctor ordered “something” put in the IV they had going in my arm.  Before the nurse went off duty she had me pushing down with each contraction “to help the baby along,” she said.  Women came and went and I was still there.  The night passed and I slept some between pains.  Pains were not regular as they had been.  A nurse observed me bearing down on a pain and scolded me saying that was harmful and not helpful for sure.  I stopped gladly for I was very sore from trying to bear down on contractions anyway.  The morning passed and on into mid-afternoon nothing had changed.  I was really thankful Mom was with Edgar to be sure he was eating meals.  I had had nothing to eat all day, of course.

Mom watched for the nurse to leave and she sneaked into my room and said, “Xenia Lee, you have to bear down on each pain as if you were having a difficult bowel movement.”  I said, “I cannot do that,” and she quickly and softly said, “I do not care what they tell you, you do as I say and you will have this baby,” and she was gone.  By now the nurse was not paying any attention to me anyway.  I did as Mom said and soon the nurse observed me and became very excited saying, “I see the head.  Get her into the delivery room quick.”  “You go call the doctor,” she said to another nurse.  Soon I was on the table with my legs strapped together against the table and being rolled to the Delivery Room.  Once in there I was put on the delivery table and again my legs were together on the sheet and strapped down awaiting the doctor.  A nurse popped her head in the door saying that the doctor’s line is busy and she could not get him.  Someone snapped, “Call the operator and tell her this is an emergency and have her break in to the doctor.”

My pains were almost continual now and severe.  I said, “Unstrap me and I am not afraid to have this baby with your help”.  More compassionate now, the nurse said, “I am really sorry but there is a rule here that no baby can be born without a doctor present.”  So we waited an eternity longer.  I had read articles, “war stories,” about women during the Second World War being mistreated by the “Powers that be” by strapping their legs together during labor letting the mother and baby die.  Then into my mind I thought of friends of ours in college who were expecting a baby in January and the wife and mother died during delivery.  The baby lived.  The husband could not find out from anyone what caused her death.  I wondered!

I remember seeing the doctor finally enter the Delivery Room.  Suddenly I had an ether mask placed on my nose with orders to breath in it and it would ease the pain.  I was aware of my legs being unstrapped and the next thing I remember was someone saying, “She is dead.”  I vividly remember hovering above the table seeing people around the delivery table with heads looking down.  I knew we had had a baby girl and she had died.  I had to find Edgar so he was not alone finding out what had happened.  I remember traveling through the hospital to a room with a water fountain.  It was beautiful!  I kept saying “Edgar, I have to go back and find Edgar.  He needs to be told and I need to tell him.  Please let me go back”.  A gentle but authoritative voice said, “She wants to go back.  Let her go back.”

I awakened in my room calling for Edgar but he was not there.  Mom was there reassuring me all was well, but I only wanted Edgar, so she went to look for him.  Soon he came into the room and I told him we had a baby girl but she is dead.  He assured me she is alive and he has just seen her.  “She is perfect and beautiful,” he said.  I was very confused because I clearly heard them say, “She is dead.”  I even had Mom see if I remembered correctly about being in that beautiful water fountain area.  I explained carefully where it was and what I had seen on the way.  Mom said it was the ether playing tricks on me, but to appease me she went to “look” for the water fountain anyway.  She came back excited telling me it was exactly as I described it and she found it right where I told her to go look.  Then she said it was in a part of the hospital she had never been in.  If our baby is okay then who – were they talking about? Me?  I had a strong feeling that if we had another baby I would not live to deliver it.  This haunted me for we did want a large family, if we had our “wants.”

In my daily Bible readings, I came to 1 Timothy 2:15 in which God spoke clearly to my heart and I held tight to that verse.  “But women shall be preserved (saved) through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self restraint.”  God is good and faithful in keeping His word.  I bear testimony to that.

Edgar came daily to the hospital to see me and brought Bob in with him at least once.  That day the nurse brought the wrong “W…” baby to the window and Edgar insisted that was not his baby girl.  Sure enough it was another “W..” girl.  Edgar was so very proud of Annita and said the other baby was ugly and he knew it was not our baby girl.  Bob got a laugh out of that.

I was in the hospital seven days and still not up walking about.  I went home in an ambulance.  Fortunately we had Health Insurance that covered all the medical and hospital bills.  I had good care at home and Annita Marie did, also.  We thrived with Mom and Mae’s loving, faithful care and were soon able to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

Annita weighed 5 lb. 6 oz. and was soon back to birth weight and continuing to gain rapidly.  She was our pride and joy and had lots of attention from Uncles and Aunts as well as parents and grandparents.  All were glad to take turns holding her.  Edgar even took her to work with him in evenings and laid her on the floor near him.  People really laughed at him but he did not care, he was so proud of her.  Annita had a lot of colic so cried off and on.  We soon learned to give her her bath in the evening before her 9:00 feeding and she would then sleep until her 2:00 a.m. feeding.

I am sure Annita caused more ache in Bob’s heart to see his new baby girl, Vicky Lee, and his older daughter, Sharon Kay, also.

Dedicated Service in Florida

At Easter time, cousin Elizabeth Fits Randolph, Pastor of the Daytona Beach S.D.B. Church, was home visiting.  Daytona Beach wanted a seminary student to do Christian service in Outreach for six weeks.  The Women’s Board of the denomination was in Salem at that time.  The Women’s Board would finance the project by paying that student so much a month and travel expenses.  Edgar was asked to go. We considered it and finally told them, “Yes.”  Bob and Edgar decided to buy a car together and we would take Bob home, visit there a few days and then drive to Florida.  In order to do all this we left before graduation so they mailed Edgar his diploma.  Bob rode or drove on to Florida with us and then hitchhiked back home to Kansas.  Bob had transfered to Kansas University in their pre-med program.

Our destination was Palatka, Florida.  We arrived there and Edgar knocked on the door where we were to stay.  A lady who answered did not invite him in.  She asked, “Where did you come from up North?”  He told her West Virginia and Kansas.  She said, “That is south of the Mason Dixon Line.  Come on in.”  We did gladly.  This was our first hint that some were not past the Civil War yet.”

Edgar’s work was to visit days, have evangelistic meetings each evening for a week, then conduct a week of all day long Bible School for the children, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., probably.   I taught in BibleSchool and took Annita with me.  Edgar directed and taught.  Elizabeth taught a class, too. We had a picnic and program for the children and their parents the last day.  A memorable summer!  There is a Fellowship, maybe a church, there now.

After two weeks in Palatka we moved north to Carraway to repeat our visiting, evening services and BibleSchool.  The DaytonaChurch or Women’s Board furnished a trailer.  Elizabeth pulled it behind her car to each new location for us to live in.  In the CarrawaySeventhDayBaptistChurch one family, the Price family, are still active and leaders in that church.  They were in our BibleSchool.  At that time there was a Fellowship in Carraway and they had a pastor.  He worked elsewhere through the week but preached there Sabbaths.  He wore clean overalls each Sabbath.  There was a pail of water on the table beside the pulpit.  Occasionally he would reach over, get a dipper of water, and drink it, or he might place the bail over his head and drink straight from the pail.  People in the congregation would walk up front during the service and follow suit.

From Carraway we moved north to Florahome for two weeks.  Even though we were in the same trailer home, Annita seemed to know we had changed locations and she would not sleep that night.  She was six weeks old when we left West Virginia – our pride and joy.  At Carraway I saw a wild boar (pig) come into the yard while she lay in her basket in the yard near the door.  In Florida the trailer got very hot even though we parked in shade.  “Shall I trust the boar will not come near Annita or should I run, grab her up and run back in the door quickly?”  I ran to get her and that frightened that wild pig away.  I never left Annita in the yard again and went back into the house.  One night we left our garbage pail under the edge of the trailer home and were rocked during the night when wild pigs tried to get the lid off.  We learned not to leave garbage out at night.

As far as I know, only Florahome does not have a group meeting today.  That summer was a truly good learning time for us.  We loved the people.  They were “country” and sincere.  We had good attendance and good parental support everywhere for BibleSchool and evening meetings.

When our two weeks at Florahome were over it was time for Southwestern Association meetings in Hammond, Louisiana.  Elizabeth was going to drive to Hammond and would gladly pull the mobile home if we would go along.  We did and that was a good experience, also.

During the summer we noted that our S.D.B.  Publishing House in Plainfield, New Jersey, was looking for a new linotype operator.  Edgar applied and got the job, beginning September 1.  We wanted to get all our debts paid off before Edgar started seminary.

Edgar’s cousin Audrey’s husband, Wendell Stephan, was pastor in Plainfield.  We wrote them to please watch for an apartment for us.  They rented an upstairs three-room apartment and the occupants were leaving in September.  They wanted us to take it, which we did.  Was fun living in the home with them again.  We lived with them in the Gothic in Alfred when Wendy was a baby.  She was two now.  They were dear friends to us through the years.

Edgar could walk to work and loved his work.  The Plainfield people made us feel at home and we were active in the church, Ladies Aid, Young Married Class and fellowship.   These were good months in Plainfield.  We were very careful with our money and paid all our debts by February and were able finally to begin saving.

In March, Edgar had a call to serve the Hammond Church and to go to Seminary at Southern Baptist in New Orleans, they said.  Edgar applied and was accepted there, to begin in September.

Next Chapter: https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/xenia-lee-7-seminary-and-the-ministry-i-learn-again-to-pray-without-ceasing/

Table of Contents: https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/memories-of-xenia-lee-wheeler-table-of-contents/


Links to my site:

Introduction https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/introduction/

Graphic Arts https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/i-graphic-arts/

Architecture https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/ii-church-architecture-and-its-incorporation-of-art/

Music https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/iii-music/

Theology https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/iv-theology/

Home Page https://bibleartists.wordpress.com/


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s